- Short-eared Owls are medium-sized owls with tiny ear tufts at high on the heads. They sport beige, round facial discs as well as the white/buff (male) as well as Tawny/Rust (female) underparts that are streaked with brown. When flying the wings are long and show buff patches on top and a black wrist marking and the tip below.
- The owl with short wings appears large-headed and neck-less during its moth-like, buoyant flight. The voice of the owl sounds similar to an animal’s nasal bark “wak,”wak.”
- Wildlife The Short-eared Owls have reached nearly 13 years old. Natural enemies include numerous diurnal predators, such as those of the Bald Eagle, Northern Goshawk, Gyrfalcon, Red-tailed Hawk as well as the Snowy Owl. Because they are nesting on floor, the birds are prone to predators of mammals like skunks, dogsand coyotes, and foxes as Jaegers and ravens, gulls and crows rob eggs and tiny chicks. collisions with vehicles are responsible for the majority of deaths. In addition, they are attracted by the open fields of airports. Many suffer fatal injuries in crashes with planes.
What There Status Right Now –
- Short-eared owls are threatened throughout New York State. The conservation of their species depends on protecting the vast, open areas which can support small rodents. It is likely to bring the additional benefit of safeguarding other threatened grassland bird species with similar requirements for habitat.
- Recent efforts have been undertaken to better monitor the wintering raptors that are found in New York State, including at Montezuma. The research has led to an improved understanding of the significance of wintering areas for raptors to short-eared owls and their responses to changes in the environment and habitat. The data gathered from research and monitoring will in the conservation of the grassland species, as well as other grassland species.
- Rufous Owl : A to Z Guide
- Baby Great Horned Owl – A to Z Guide
- Rufous Legged Owl : Everything You Need To Know
- Greater Sooty Owl : A to Z Guide
- Baby Screech Owl : Everything You Need To Know